This custom developed program was designed to teach the basics of Project Management in the context of being a project team member, a project lead and eventually moving into a manager role.
Moving away from the standard approach of drilling Project Management theory in the interest of obtaining a project management certification, this program was designed to give interactive and hands on experience in the comfort of a classroom environment, by teaching the key aspects of the project management cycle that are standard to all project management methodologies.
The focus of the learning program was to go through each aspect of project management with interactive exercises that test the existing assumptions of the learners, allow the learners to test out new skills, and give them the confidences to go out and try their new skills with their team and clients.
An IT security services firm has a very competent team, each of which specializes in certain aspects of IT security. The team is geographically dispersed and has limited capacity to share knowledge amongst one another.
The firm’s aim is to have greater advantage on the market by raising the knowledge and skill level of all it’s specialists in the most important areas of IT security so that all team members are able to deliver the same standard of service and will move into the specialist role in exceptional circumstances.
The team is not co-located and has conflicting client assignments, making it impossible to learn ‘together’, while at the same time having the need to learn from one another.
The virtual learning curriculum solution delivered includes:
- Specially selected online courses delivered by the top people in the profession, together with colleagues from other firms in the industry
- Knowledge sharing between team members focusing on specific topics, delivered virtually and recorded for later use
- Follow-up activities and discussion points for all internal team knowledge sharing activities via a team intranet site, facilitated by the firm leadership
The virtual learning curriculum solution provides them with:
- The ability to conduct semi-synchronous learning – everyone goes through each module and learning point at their own pace within a designated time frame (for example 3 weeks)
- The ability to expand the resources they tap into beyond their team and organization, and use what is now available for others in their industry
Invest in your leaders.
When a large firm went through a Performance Management transformation, they also utilized the opportunity to further develop the counselors in their organization as coaches.
The solution consisted of:
- Guides and a question bank to support each of the counseling sessions
- A video showing the DOs and DON’Ts of counseling
- Guidance on how to give and receive feedback
- A classroom learning program that would allow counselors to ‘act out’ their role and develop themselves in a comfortable environment
The message was that the counselor has the most important role in helping to develop and retain the right talent in the organization, and the organization wants to make the right investment in its counselors.